50 YEARS AGO

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Pumpkin_Head
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

50 YEARS AGO

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi Folks:

I meant to post this earlier, but forgot. This is very important to me as it was the single most profound historical event that took place within my life time. It happened in the Summer of 1969, just 4 days before my 9th birthday. There were 9 of us living in the house at the time, my parents and my brothers and sisters. Not one of us took our eyes off the tv for a moment as this event took place. In those days, it was a 19 inch black & white portable tv on a stand that was showing it's age, but we stared at that tired old tv none the less, intently without even a bathroom break.

What we were witnessing was the successful landing of the Apollo 11 on the moon. Live tv coverage from the moon for the first time ever in human history. It was comparable to being privy to the discovery of America and other such discoveries made by great explorers such as Christopher Columbus and Captain Cooke. Neil Armstrong was the very first human being to set foot on the moon and to set foot on another planet, and even though I was almost but not quite 9 years old at the time, I knew that I was seeing something that up until that point was a dream relegated to science fiction stories.

July 20th is the 50th anniversary of that event, and I am planning on having a celebration at my house in honor of the crew of the Apollo 11 who are Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldren and Michael Collins. I feel it's important because it truly was "....one small step for man, and one giant leap for mankind..."

I don't know how the rest of you feel about that, and I realize that many of you weren't around in 1969, but it would be interested to hear what your take is on it. If you were around for it back in 69, share your experience and how you felt at the time. Planning on celebrating? Perhaps your community is planning some sort of a shin-digs. I think it would be fun, and being that Halloween is about the unknown, space travel can be just as scary as monsters, vampires, ghosts and the like. Just think of yourself, stepping out of the lunar lander, not knowing what could be waiting for you. Not knowing what to expect, or who or what might be watching. Back then, we didn't know what to expect to find there.

I just thought it interesting.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: 50 YEARS AGO

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 am

I was 14 that summer, and I remember it very well. My mother and I sat up long after midnight to watch Armstrong take his first step. Truthfully, I fell asleep during the wee morning hours, but Mama woke me up for it.

Armstrong's first words were scripted, and everyone knew ahead of time what he was goimg to say. Mama and I thought he sounded stiff in his delivery. However, the Lunar Module was called the Eagle, and when it first touched down on the moon, Armstrong naturally radioed back to the command ship, "The Eagle has landed". Those were literally the first words spoken on the moon, and we thought they were far more poetic.

Pumpkin_Head
Haunt Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:22 am

I agree. People in general use the expression "The eagle has landed" in daily conversation to indicate arriving at a destination or completing a chore or what ever, NOT EVEN KNOWING where that expression came from. "Houston we have a problem" is another commonly spoken cliché when something goes wrong people often use, and again, they don't even know where it came from.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:49 am

The movie Apollo 13 perhaps revitalized that expression.

Pumpkin_Head
Haunt Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm

I've heard both expressions used long before the movie "Apollo 13" came out.

Mike