Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Live Chat/IM

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 pm 
Halloween Master

Interesting comentery, Murf, and I think you are right. Bloody Mary and Mary Queenof Scots were two different people. I am not as up on my British History as most.

I do know that both the "Bloody Mary" and "Mary Worth" are both based on THE Bloody Mary from England.

Mike

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm 
Halloween Master

Mike, I am a housewife now and have been for many years, but I was an English professor in my younger adulthood. Literature was my specialty, but you learn a lot about the history when you study the literature. Some of the details have gotten away from me now, like how exactly Mary, Queen of Scots was in line for the throne.

You learn a lot about the English/Irish conflict when you study Jonathan's Swift's satiric essay, "A Modest Proposal." He was English himself, and the Dean of St. Patrick's (Protestant) Cathedral in Dublin, but he had a foot in both worlds. He very much defended the Irish politically against their English oppressors.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 am 
Halloween Master

Pumpkin56 wrote:
Murfreesboro wrote:
If my memory serves, Mary, Queen of Scots, and Bloody Mary were two different people. Bloody Mary was Elizabeth I's older half-sister. Her mom, Catherine of Aragon, had been put aside by Henry the VIII when he wanted to marry Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth's mother. Because the Pope refused to grant him a divorce, England broke with the Catholic church over that. Mary, the only surviving child of the first marriage, was traumatized by what her father had done to her mother (and her), and made it a point to try to bring back the Catholic faith during her reign. She persecuted Protestants, hence earned the name "Bloody Mary."

Mary, Queen of Scots was Elizabeth's cousin, I believe. She had a claim to the English throne herself (I've forgotten how), and I think Elizabeth may have ended by killing her to secure her own reign. But ultimately, the crown passed to Mary's son, James I of England (who was simultaneously James VI of Scotland). Elizabeth was a Tudor, but James was a Stuart (spelled Stewart in Scotland).

You are correct, Murf! Mary Stuart was Elizabeth's cousin and her claim (and I think the claim of Catholics) was that Elizabeth was a bastard and had no claim to the throne and Mary was next in line for it. If I remember right, Elizabeth had her tried for treason and executed because she was supposedly involved in plots to remove her from the throne. I'm an Elizabethan history nerd 8)

It sounds like you both know more than me about English royalty.
I only remember what I learnt in school about that era. I am interested in Richard the Lionheart though because of the crusades. :wink:

I'm a JFK nerd though. :)

I do like history in general though.

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am 
Halloween Master

And I am not a "JFK nerd," although I do have a family connection to that stuff, as we mentioned in another thread.

Hard to explain why one era of history might grab anyone more than another. I have always loved England, especially the older centuries, before American colonization. And in American history, I have always preferred the Revolutionary period to the Civil War, even though I have spent my whole life in the South, literally surrounded by Civil War reminders. (I am at long last reading Shelby Foote's three-volume history of the Civil War, so I am beginning to come to grips with that era. I also, at long last, read a biography of Abraham Lincoln, and another of his wife, during Lincoln's bicentennial in '09.)

My husband is a walking encyclopedia of WWII, especially the European theater. I have never known anyone else in my life equally knowledgeable about that.

I studied Latin for many years, so I have an interest in classical antiquity. I also find the Bible fascinating. But I am not particularly interested in the ancient Egyptians. My husband, OTOH, loves to read about ancient Egypt, and Sumer, all that really ancient stuff.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:24 am 
Halloween Master

It is weird how somethings grab a person and others don't. I hated American history with a passion when I was in school. Sitting through one of those classes was like being sedated. However I love Elizabethan history and for some reason, the Russian czars fascinate me too.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 am 
Halloween Master

When I was studying literature in school, I preferred English to American in every period except the late 19th century. I always thought the Americans really came of age, literarily speaking, in the 1870s, 80s, 90s, and the English seemed sort of effete & out-of-steam by comparison during that time.

That probably had to do with the Civil War in this country, and how the country really became one for the first time after that war.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:18 pm 
Halloween Master

I own a great book on the American Civil War.

I like reading about the Ancient Egyptians, Romans, Mayans. I've also always wanted to visit Vatican City for the architecture, but have recently become interested in the different Popes throughout the centuries also.

In all honestly, any kind of history facinates me.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:45 pm 
Halloween Master

My older son was at Vatican City last year, during the Easter holidays. He was dazzled by all that gold and artwork!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:13 pm 
Halloween Master

Jack, I know very little about English History, and I apoligize if I came off like I did. I, like millions of other people, enjoy watching The History Channel from time to time, and what I posted basicaly was what I saw on a documentery about the Bloody Mary legend. As for the English Irish conflice, I will admit, I grew up in a house wher all the horror stories about how the Birtish Royalty opressed my ancestors in Ireland because we held true to the Catholic faith, and well, I do belive that some of it is true. However, I am a 3rd generation American, and have never been to Ireland. I am very proud of my heritabe in both Ireland and here in the U.S, but for me, the U.S IS the 'old sod."

Incidently, I LOVE the British people. I love British culture, The Beatles, Rolls Royce, Triumph motorcycles, Asten Margin automoiles and I would love to visit London on a 'haunted road' trip. I mave met many exchange students from both England and Ireland, and all have been very polite, nice people who I actualy consider friends.

So I apoligize if I came off as a 'know it all,' and I didn't mean to do that.

Mike

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:08 pm 
Halloween Master

I don't believe in spirits or the supernatural at all, but I would take part in a seance. Or maybe that should read "I don't believe in spirits or the supernatural at all, so I would take part in a seance."

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:17 am 
Halloween Master

MacPhantom wrote:
I don't believe in spirits or the supernatural at all, but I would take part in a seance. Or maybe that should read "I don't believe in spirits or the supernatural at all, so I would take part in a seance."

Couldn't have said it better :D

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:17 pm 
Halloween Master

Pumpkin_Man wrote:
So I apoligize if I came off as a 'know it all,' and I didn't mean to do that.

Mike

[/b][/size][/color]

That's fine Pumpkin_Man, I didn't think you did anyway. :wink:

I don't know a great deal about English history myself really, so I was saying that there are people on here that do know more than me. It's not a history I read a great deal on to be honest (which some people might seem strange seeing that I am English). I prefer other subjects. :)

The English in general were tyrants years ago, so yeah that is true. Going back through history sometimes i'm ashamed of some of the things they have done.

And on the monarchy, we'll i'm all for a Republic myself! :wink: :)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:47 pm 
Halloween Master

Jack Skellington wrote:

And on the monarchy, we'll i'm all for a Republic myself! :wink: :) [/color]

It's funny, though. A lot of Americans seem to have a sort of love affair with the British royals. There was a ton of coverage, both on TV and in the tabloids, of William & Kate's wedding earlier this year. And of course, Diana was on every American tabloid in the universe during her lifetime. When both she and John Kennedy, Jr., died within a short time of each other, I wondered almost how those magazines would stay in business. I even saw a tabloid magazine this year about what Diana would have been like at 50. Americans love royalty, even though we don't have any. :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:11 pm 
Halloween Master

Murfreesboro wrote:
Jack Skellington wrote:

And on the monarchy, we'll i'm all for a Republic myself! :wink: :) [/color]

It's funny, though. A lot of Americans seem to have a sort of love affair with the British royals. There was a ton of coverage, both on TV and in the tabloids, of William & Kate's wedding earlier this year. And of course, Diana was on every American tabloid in the universe during her lifetime. When both she and John Kennedy, Jr., died within a short time of each other, I wondered almost how those magazines would stay in business. I even saw a tabloid magazine this year about what Diana would have been like at 50. Americans love royalty, even though we don't have any. :lol:

Yes I saw in the news that you guys have a ton of coverage on them. This year's Royal Wedding was good for me though as I was working it & we had a bank holiday, which ment I got paid double time! :) :wink:

The royal family treated Princess Diana like dirt anyway (& possibly had her killed, if you believe some people. I haven't looked much into that though).

The history is fascinating, with all the castles & dates etc, but that's exactly what it should be now - consigned to history. We'll still make money from tourism as people would still want to come & see the old palaces & castles etc. It's outdated now, let's move into the 21st century!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 am 
Halloween Master

I dont hink I would that stuff freaks me out. I have done a ouiji board, and my mom is a medium so I have alot of exposure on supernatural world. I choose not to mess with it. :cheese:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween General