Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Live Chat/IM

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween News

Post subject: Re: Lawmaker wants to change date of Halloween!
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 pm 
Halloween Master

Murfreesboro wrote:
If you know the kids in your neighborhood by sight, can you hold back some candy for them? That way, perhaps you'd run out for the interlopers, but not for the ones you know and want to treat.

Good idea... totally would, but I don't know many of the neighborhood kids by sight. I do hold back big goodie bags for children of family and friends.... so I s'pose that'll do okay. I think I'm going to have to start giving away ONE piece of candy before 7pm and do the handfuls later in the evening. Heheh.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 am 
Halloween Master

I prefer when it is on Saturday to be sure.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:57 am 
Halloween Master

On the surface it seems like a pretty good idea, but I am pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to Halloween and October 31st.

Mike

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:04 pm 
Halloween Master

I agree with you Mike. The years that it's not on a weekend makes us appreciate when it is even more.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 am 
Master Reaper

As a kid it was best when Halloween was on a Friday because you could get up the next day and watch cartoons while eating candy. Of course I don't recall those days because I was too high on sugar. :)

The only awkward day for Halloween is Sunday because of the religious context, although Mondays aren't great because everyone has partied out over the weekend. Tuesday and Wednesdays suffer from being in the middle of the week so you can't stay up too late if you have to get up the next day. Thursdays aren't quite as bad but Fridays are much better. The only downside of Fridays is that if someone plans a Halloween party the next day it feels a little odd. And people are more likely to go out to parties on a Friday or Saturday instead of staying home to give out candy.

Although if you consider that a ToT'er might start around the age of 3 and end around the age of 13, they may only experience a Friday or Saturday Halloween once or twice in their life, and those who get it twice may be too young the first time to remember it. So waiting for another year isn't practical. But again, Halloween is a fun day to go to school on because you get to see everyone dressed up. It makes the whole day more of a party.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:23 am 
Halloween Master

I love it when Halloween is on a weekend day or on a Friday, but I love it on any other day of the week, too. As I said, I am a traditionalist by nature, so when it comes to celebrating Halloween, I would prefer it be kept on October 31st rather then try to make it allways on a week end day.

Mike

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:00 am 
Halloween Master

Well, I've probably addressed this in previous years, but my feeling is that, if you officially change the date of Halloween, you will kill or at least depress it. Those holidays that get shifted to a Monday, or whatever--nobody ever really remembers what they are for.

In our community, and I suspect many others, the Halloween attractions are primarily happening this weekend, anyway. If my family wants to go on a haunted tour of the town, etc., we will need to do it on Friday or Saturday, because no one is going to be giving those tours on Weds. And the Parks & Rec Halloween Carnival is this weekend as well. I believe the area corn mazes will be having their big finale this weekend, not mid-week. Halloween night itself will be observed with neighborhood TOTing, and whatever private individuals want to do for fun.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 am 
Halloween Master

Like I said, Halloween has always been on Oct 31st, and should be kept that way. The "movable" holidays you mentioned have been that way all the time, too, so I can see why they are, though with the exception of Thanksgiving, which is allways on the 4th Thursday of November, people do tend to use those days for cleaning out their attic or just taking a day off from work or school.

Mike

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween News