Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Live Chat/IM

Board index » Halloween Preparation » Pumpking Carving Chat




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:56 am 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 1302
Location: Hallowe'en Town!
I was just wondering what Jack O'Lantern carving designs people do or are planning to do this year?

I've attached some photos of the ones my wife & I did last year. I've got some better photos of them all outside in the dark, but their on my iphone & I can't get them back over to my laptop. :x

This year we're also going to attempt a Freddy Krueger one & a haunted house.

I absolutely love carving Jack O'Lanterns, it's my favourite thing of Halloween!


Attachments:
148865_456575395605_531010605_5362949_4729866_n.jpg
148865_456575395605_531010605_5362949_4729866_n.jpg [ 43.97 KiB | Viewed 2199 times ]
76585_456575305605_531010605_5362947_1789368_n.jpg
76585_456575305605_531010605_5362947_1789368_n.jpg [ 54.53 KiB | Viewed 2199 times ]
148463_456569900605_531010605_5362762_1115922_n.jpg
148463_456569900605_531010605_5362762_1115922_n.jpg [ 43.29 KiB | Viewed 2199 times ]

_________________
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town
Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:33 am 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 pm
Posts: 9095
Location: Somewhere in south Texas
we dont get too fancy but here are the kids from 2010....


Attachments:
ooo-027.jpg
ooo-027.jpg [ 23.79 KiB | Viewed 2194 times ]

_________________
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"
Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:55 am 
Offline
Halloween Master

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
Posts: 3057
We have a tradition of carving an acrylic pumpkin whenever a pet dies, which is then dedicated to that pet each year. I will be carving one for my cat who died last week. I carve a cat for a cat, a dog for a dog.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:06 am 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45 am
Posts: 3654
Location: Lurking in the Shadows
I'm Batman...


Attachments:
jackolantern_batman.jpg
jackolantern_batman.jpg [ 13.01 KiB | Viewed 2187 times ]
hllwn2k10-jol-bat.jpg
hllwn2k10-jol-bat.jpg [ 32.12 KiB | Viewed 2187 times ]
batman_2Dpumpkin_small.jpg
batman_2Dpumpkin_small.jpg [ 12.74 KiB | Viewed 2187 times ]

_________________
They say that life's a carousel
Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
The world is full of kings and queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
Its heaven and hell, oh well


I am Vengeance...I am the Night!

I swear to God...[Batman]SWEAR to Me!!
Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 am 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 4541
Location: Dancing by the fire
Whoah I've never seen Batman pumpkins! Pretty cool!

_________________
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."



Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:24 am 
Offline
Haunt Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 am
Posts: 473
Location: Los Angeles
We used to do all pattern carving. Took up the whole 2 days before Halloween. Then we got inspired by scene at Rhonda's house with all the pumpkins in Trick 'r' Treat inspired us to just do simple ones again. We get more done that way.

_________________
Be afraid....be very afraid!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:11 am 
Offline
Halloween Master

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
Posts: 3057
Me, too, Morticia. I went crazy for the patterns for several years there, but I've cut back on that. I still do patterns for the acrylic pumpkins, which I can save from year to year, and for my last, Thanksgiving pumpkin (I carve a turkey design into my last pumpkin of the season for a centerpiece while my Thanksgiving turkey is baking).

I was just remembering that, last year, I bought a white pumpkin and carved a "Jack Skellington" face into it. I think I'd seen that in a magazine. I'll probably do that again this year. Sometimes I also collect leaves from the yard and use them as stencils for smaller pumpkins.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 1302
Location: Hallowe'en Town!
Morticia wrote:
We used to do all pattern carving. Took up the whole 2 days before Halloween. Then we got inspired by scene at Rhonda's house with all the pumpkins in Trick 'r' Treat inspired us to just do simple ones again. We get more done that way.


I'm also a big fan of the more simple, traditional Jack O'Lanterns. Think i'm gunna go back & do a proper traditional one again this year. I'll still do the more stencil/pattern ones though.

Murfreesboro, gotta love the Jack Skellington carved ones. :wink: A white one would look pretty awesome for him! :)

_________________
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:50 pm 
Offline
Haunt Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 am
Posts: 473
Location: Los Angeles
Murfreesboro wrote:
Me, too, Morticia. I went crazy for the patterns for several years there, but I've cut back on that. I still do patterns for the acrylic pumpkins, which I can save from year to year, and for my last, Thanksgiving pumpkin (I carve a turkey design into my last pumpkin of the season for a centerpiece while my Thanksgiving turkey is baking).

I was just remembering that, last year, I bought a white pumpkin and carved a "Jack Skellington" face into it. I think I'd seen that in a magazine. I'll probably do that again this year. Sometimes I also collect leaves from the yard and use them as stencils for smaller pumpkins.


Murf that is what I have been thinking of doing as well. Buying the fake pumpkins and carving my favorite stuff into them, maybe one a year.

_________________
Be afraid....be very afraid!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:25 pm 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 1302
Location: Hallowe'en Town!
Morticia wrote:
Murfreesboro wrote:
Me, too, Morticia. I went crazy for the patterns for several years there, but I've cut back on that. I still do patterns for the acrylic pumpkins, which I can save from year to year, and for my last, Thanksgiving pumpkin (I carve a turkey design into my last pumpkin of the season for a centerpiece while my Thanksgiving turkey is baking).

I was just remembering that, last year, I bought a white pumpkin and carved a "Jack Skellington" face into it. I think I'd seen that in a magazine. I'll probably do that again this year. Sometimes I also collect leaves from the yard and use them as stencils for smaller pumpkins.


Murf that is what I have been thinking of doing as well. Buying the fake pumpkins and carving my favorite stuff into them, maybe one a year.


Just out of curiosity, what are the acrylic pumpkins like? Do they look good?

I might give one a try this year along with the real ones.

_________________
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:58 pm 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:15 am
Posts: 9326
Location: Reaper's Cemetery
I carved Grim Reaper, Haunted House, Spider and Web, Skull, Witch, and more!

_________________
Image
http://www.alarmingproducts.com/cgi-bin ... ormasks&c=


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:04 pm 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 1302
Location: Hallowe'en Town!
iHaunt wrote:
I carved Grim Reaper, Haunted House, Spider and Web, Skull, Witch, and more!


Have you got any pics iHaunt? I'ld love to see them! :)

_________________
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:00 pm 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:15 am
Posts: 9326
Location: Reaper's Cemetery
Jack Skellington wrote:
iHaunt wrote:
I carved Grim Reaper, Haunted House, Spider and Web, Skull, Witch, and more!


Have you got any pics iHaunt? I'ld love to see them! :)




Sorry no pics. :( Because it was back in 2002 - 2008. I hope to get a few pics this year, but I'm not so sure because me and my girlfriend will not decorate yard haunt at home this year so we are going to have a Halloween party at her best friend's house. :)

_________________
Image
http://www.alarmingproducts.com/cgi-bin ... ormasks&c=


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:24 am 
Offline
Halloween Master

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
Posts: 3057
Jack Skellington wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are the acrylic pumpkins like? Do they look good?

I might give one a try this year along with the real ones.


Yes, I'd say they look good, very natural. I think sometimes they are called "craft pumpkins." Of course, you cannot use a real candle inside them, have to go for the little battery-operated flicker lights. So the light they give off may not be as good as the natural pumpkins.

I would never replace all my pumpkins with the artificial ones. For one thing, I love love love roasted pumpkin seeds. But it is nice to have a few that I can save from year to year, after I've gone to the trouble of carving a stencil into them.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jack O'Lanterns
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:45 am 
Offline
Halloween Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 1302
Location: Hallowe'en Town!
Murfreesboro wrote:
Jack Skellington wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are the acrylic pumpkins like? Do they look good?

I might give one a try this year along with the real ones.


Yes, I'd say they look good, very natural. I think sometimes they are called "craft pumpkins." Of course, you cannot use a real candle inside them, have to go for the little battery-operated flicker lights. So the light they give off may not be as good as the natural pumpkins.

I would never replace all my pumpkins with the artificial ones. For one thing, I love love love roasted pumpkin seeds. But it is nice to have a few that I can save from year to year, after I've gone to the trouble of carving a stencil into them.


Thanks for that. :wink: I think i'll definitely try & get hold of one & give it a go. :)

_________________
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Halloween Preparation » Pumpking Carving Chat


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: