Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Live Chat/IM

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:22 am 
Halloween Master

Murfreesboro wrote:
Americans love royalty, even though we don't have any. :lol:

"Some"......... I personally couldnt care less...

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:00 am 
Halloween Master

Spookymufu wrote:
Murfreesboro wrote:

Nor do I... & i'm English! I can't stand them!

Just a bunch of freeloaders!

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:44 am 
Halloween Master

Jack Skellington wrote:
Spookymufu wrote:
Murfreesboro wrote:

Nor do I... & i'm English! I can't stand them!

Just a bunch of freeloaders!

well, i guess i sounded harsh......I mean, it's a great history but it has no bearing (any more) on the US and it seems silly to a lot of us to have a monarchy in this day and age, especially when they dont seem to really do anything, just being for histories sake.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:15 am 
Halloween Master

Spookymufu wrote:
well, i guess i sounded harsh......I mean, it's a great history but it has no bearing (any more) on the US and it seems silly to a lot of us to have a monarchy in this day and age, especially when they dont seem to really do anything, just being for histories sake.

I agree that it's very outdated.

When Queen Elizabeth II dies, i'ld like that to be the end of it & consign it to the histoy books.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:00 pm 
Halloween Master

I don't know what to say here. On the surface, it seems rather expensive for British tax payers to support the Royals, Buckingham Palace and all the hoopla that goes with it, but I spend a lot of money on Fireworks for the 4th of July. I spend over 1000 bucks one year, and I spend well over 200 last Summer. I really love the 4th of July, and fireworks are an integral part of that tradition. I suppose the differenc is that I actualy have a choice, however. The tax payers of England really don't from what I understand. I, personaly, would not want to pay for the monarchy, but that's just me.

Mike

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 am 
Halloween Master

People argue that they make a lot of money in tourism, but I believe that people would still come to see the palaces etc because of the history NOT because there's a royal family. I could be wrong though.

I'm fed up of paying for them though, especially when Prince Phillip wants to be re-incarnated as a deadly virus & wipe out a huge percentage of humanity! :?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:02 am 
Halloween Master

Prince Philip has said that? :shock:

How many of the royals actually do get supported by the taxpayers? There are a lot of them now. When I was a child, I knew of Elizabeth, her family (husband & four kids), her sister & mom. But now all Elizabeth's kids are married with kids, and some of them may have kids too, for all I know. When does it end? When do you get far away enough from the line of succession that you no longer qualify for the taxpayers' support?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:09 am 
Halloween Master

Murfreesboro wrote:
Prince Philip has said that? :shock:

How many of the royals actually do get supported by the taxpayers? There are a lot of them now. When I was a child, I knew of Elizabeth, her family (husband & four kids), her sister & mom. But now all Elizabeth's kids are married with kids, and some of them may have kids too, for all I know. When does it end? When do you get far away enough from the line of succession that you no longer qualify for the taxpayers' support?

Yes he really did say that Murf! Very shocking!

I'm not actually sure how many of them are supported by the taxpayers. A fair few I would imagine.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 am 
Halloween Master

What I don't understand is why England is still called the United Kingdom. It's really not a Kingdom per se any more. Or is it?

Mike

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:32 am 
Halloween Master

Well, I think it is "united" because England united with Scotland (maybe in 1707? I've gotten fuzzy on my dates). But their flag, the Union Jack, is a combination of St. George's cross (England) and the X-shaped St. Andrew's cross (Scotland).

It is still a "kingdom" because there is still a royal house. Right now I guess it is more of a queendom, LOL, but it's always referred to as a kingdom.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm 
Halloween Master

Murfreesboro wrote:

It is still a "kingdom" because there is still a royal house. Right now I guess it is more of a queendom, LOL, but it's always referred to as a kingdom.

:lol:

Out of curiosity have either of you been to England/anywhere in the UK before? I only ask because in the USA I have visited:
Florida x2
New York x2 (my favourite city - I LOVE it there!!!)
Connecticut (my father has two cousins who live there & are American after my grandmother's sister married an American soldier during WWII
Las Vegas
Washington D.C.

My last visit was nearly four years ago when I went to Las Vegas. I love holidaying in the USA & so does my wife. We really want to go back to Florida & visit California. I also want to visit Boston (for the JFK museum) & i'ld also love to visit Salem. If we had the money we'ld pack up & travel the USA & school our son ourselves during the trip! :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm 
Halloween Master

I was in England briefly on a school trip when I was 19. That's been many, many years ago! I was in London primarily, but traveled outside the immediate area one day to see Stonehenge. It was only a week, and there is so much to do in London that I didn't feel I was wasting my time by spending most of it there. I visited Keats' house, and Dickens' house, and Sam Johnson's house, in addition to more prominent tourist spots, like the Tower, the British Museum, the National Gallery. I shopped a little at Harrod's and had tea at the Ritz. Went to church at Westminster Abbey, visited Poets' Corner. Went to two operas and three plays.

I've never been in Las Vegas, though I have relatives in California, so I've been there several times. I don't believe I've ever been in Connecticut, either. NYC is as far north as I've been up the Eastern Seaboard. (I don't count the airport in Boston, since all I saw was the airport.)

My older son spent 7 months in Europe during 2010. He was headquartered in Germany, but near the end of his stay he spent time in Ireland and London. He is a Yeats fanatic, had to see all the Irish stuff.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 pm 
Halloween Master

Sounds like that was a good enjoyable trip Murf?

When we did Las Vegas we also went to see the Grand Canyon, went down inside it on a helicopter, then went on a boat trip down the river flowing through it. When we came back up we had a BBQ & went on the skywalk. I also went towards the edge & started climbing a rock formation (even though my wife advised me not to!) well, coming down this rock formation, I slipped & nearly came off the canyon! That was still an awesome trip though! :D

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 am 
Halloween Master

I never do seances but I don't believe in witches ghosts or phantoms.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 am 
Halloween Master

Jack Skellington wrote:
Sounds like that was a good enjoyable trip Murf?

When we did Las Vegas we also went to see the Grand Canyon, went down inside it on a helicopter, then went on a boat trip down the river flowing through it. When we came back up we had a BBQ & went on the skywalk. I also went towards the edge & started climbing a rock formation (even though my wife advised me not to!) well, coming down this rock formation, I slipped & nearly came off the canyon! That was still an awesome trip though! :D

Would you believe I have never been to the Grand Canyon? I always thought I would have gotten there by now. I've been in Arizona, too, just to pass through on my way to CA, though.

When I thought about it some more, I could recall a few more places I saw in England. We took a bus tour out to Windsor & Hampton Court. I believe we saw Eton from the highway that day, as well as swans swimming in the Thames. And the same day I saw Stonehenge I also saw Salisbury Cathedral. I remember we passed through a town that had thatched-roof cottages by the roadside. And I saw Winchester Cathedral, where Jane Austen is buried, and saw a statue in that town of Alfred the Great.

Sorry, Chang, I don't mean to ignore your post. I actually do believe there is a possibility of contacting "something" from the other side, but not necessarily anything I would want to speak with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween General