Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Live Chat/IM

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween General

Post subject: WHAT ARE SOME UNUSUAL HALLOWEEN TRADITIONS IN YOUR AREA
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:25 am 
Halloween Master

HI ALL,I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR HALLOWEEN UNUSUAL TRADITIONS ARE IN YOUR LOCAL AREA,HERE WHERE I LIVE IN SCOTLAND,WELL THE NIGHT BEFORE HALLOWEEN KIDS GO ROUND THROWING EGGS AT HOUSES,THEY CALL IT "KICKY DOORY NIGHT" 8)

Post subject: Re: WHAT ARE SOME UNUSUAL HALLOWEEN TRADITIONS IN YOUR AREA
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
Haunt Master

Well, I don't think we have anything unusual here..Halloween is enjoyed by chlidren and adults both. There seems to be more costume parties for adults than there used to be when I was growing up. In our area, we usually have an adult night the weekend before Halloween, as most of the adults have children and need to be with them on the actual day. Most schools here in AZ no longer celebrate Halloween during the school day (not politically correct anymore), but in our neighborhood, for Halloween, we have over 240-250 children trick or treating. Seems also to be customary for alot of the adults to dress up while taking their children door to door; more than there used to be.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:51 pm 
Halloween Master

We only have one on Easter. The Zombie Jesus Parade.

~Nicholas Gordon

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:34 am 
Halloween Master

I don't think our traditions are unusual, but we have a lot going on in October. Lots of area corn mazes and commercial haunted attractions. The weekend closest to Halloween, the city parks & rec puts on a Halloween bash in one of the larger parks. There is a carnival for grade school kids, and there are haunted hay rides. One of those is not scary, for the little ones, while the primary one is as scary as they can make it. They also have costume contests.

On Halloween night itself there is lots going on in the neighborhoods. One street near us is so highly decorated that people drive in to it and park their cars. Our street gets some spill-over from those folks. Another prime TOT area is the historic district downtown, where many of the oldest and wealthiest homes put on quite a show.

When my kids were in grade school, they always had a book character parade at Halloween. It wasn't called Halloween, but was supposed to encourage reading. They were quite flexible, though. Little boys dressed as Spiderman could carry comic books. My daughter, dressed as a witch, could carry Harry Potter even if she didn't look like any of the characters in HP. And the teachers and administrators would costume as well, only theirs really would be from some recognizable story book or fairy tale.

The second graders would generally have a field trip to a pumpkin patch.

There is one non-denominational mega-church in town that has a blow-out "harvest festival." They won't do anything spooky, but they have many seasonal activities and are well attended. Other churches. including ours, have Trunk-or-Treat. I support that as long as it doesn't supplant the street masquerade, which so far it has not done.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:44 pm 
Halloween Master

Rising Dead Man wrote:

My area does have stuff for Halloween, but it's just haunted houses and hayrides and that kind of thing. The only thing closest to weird and Halloween I could think of was the one in my quote. There are costume parades in my town at Halloween. I don't know if a parade for Halloween is unusual or not. I think it is weird that my life centers around Halloween and I never saw the parades. :( I was too busy handing out candy.

~Nicholas Gordon

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 am 
Halloween Master

Rising Dead Man wrote:
Rising Dead Man wrote:

My area does have stuff for Halloween, but it's just haunted houses and hayrides and that kind of thing. The only thing closest to weird and Halloween I could think of was the one in my quote. There are costume parades in my town at Halloween. I don't know if a parade for Halloween is unusual or not. I think it is weird that my life centers around Halloween and I never saw the parades. :( I was too busy handing out candy.

RDM NO I DON"T THINK PARADE"S ARE UNUSUAL AT HALLOWEEN,BUT I MUST SAY 20 YEARS AGO "KICKY DOORY NIGHT"WAS SERIOUS,NOWADAYS IT STILL GOES ON BUT NOT AS BAD AS BACK THEN,THE POLICE USED TO DREAD 30TH OF OCTOBER AS 13-16 YEAR OLDS USE TO CAUSE HAVOC IN NEIGHBOURHOODS,CARS VANDALISED,EGGS THROWN ON WINDOWS,PAINT SPRAYED ON HOUSES,POLICE USED TO GO ROUND NEIGHBOURHOODS IN RIOT VANS IT WAS THAT BAD,BUT IT ONLY HAPPENED ON THE 30TH OF OCTOBER,HALLOWEEN NIGHT IS SO DIFFERENT IT"S ENJOYED BY CHILDREN AND ADULTS HERE TOO 8)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 am 
Halloween Master

Back in the '80s I used to hear on the news about "Devil's Night" up in Detroit, MI. There were so many abandoned homes up there, I guess, that gangs of teens would set fire to them. I thought of it only because this, too, happened on Oct. 30, not the 31rst. It went on for several years, but finally stopped. Maybe they finally burned down everything they could.

We have a nice mix of activities here, because we live in a smallish city (about 100,000 people), but there is still lots of farmland around and about in the county and surrounding counties. So our available activities combine urban and rural fun.

We also have several community theater groups. One of them put on Dracula last Oct. And if you are willing to drive NW of Nashville, up to Adams, TN, they always put on some play about the Bell Witch up there every Oct.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:25 pm 
Halloween Master

The only highly unusual Halloween tradition that I can think of goes on in Detroit Michigan. Appearently it's part of some individual's tradition to set fires. My own personal Halloween tradion that could be considered 'unusual,' would be my Halloween Midnight Motorcycle Ride.

Mike

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 pm 
Halloween Master

The day after Halloween this close to the Mexican border is full of celebrations for El Dia de los Muertos (Spanish for "The Day of the Dead"). People wear face paint, usually they're painted to look like skeletons. They have parades and parties to celebrate and honor the dead-- most usually loved ones who have passed away. People light Jesus candles beside paper flowers and photos of their loved ones who have passed away.

It's a celebration of life-- a day when the living can consort with the dead (in theory).

It's always celebrated in conjunction with All Souls Day.... which is sorta the same as Halloween if you think about it.

That's the only "unusual" Halloween tradition I can think of off hand. There are probably more, but it all depends on how you define "unusual".

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 am 
Halloween Master

I first learned of the Day of the Dead when my husband and I went to San Antonio on our honeymoon. We were married on Oct. 24, and there was an exhibit in the museum in San Antonio about this Mexican custom. I was enchanted by it, but I never saw the street parades you speak of. I have seen photos of them, though.

I believe that custom blends Catholic and native Mexican (maybe Aztec?) belief. Apparently the pre-Columbian Indians also had some kind of belief in contact with the spirit world during the dying time of the year. I guess there is something in the late autumn wind that brings these thoughts to mind, no matter where in the world you live.

As I believe we've discussed elsewhere, the Catholic All Saints/All Souls Days were deliberately set to try to assimilate Samhain to Christian purposes. Just as they've always done, they adapted that tradition to the local ones in Mexico.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:56 am 
Halloween Master

Here in SoCal, Day of the Dead is not in the least unusual, though it may be to other folks around the globe. Seems to be catching on a bit.

My most unusual tradition, and a new one at that, is continuing my Halloween until the the Fifth of November. This may not be unusual for folks across the puddle, but most people I know around here don't know the significance of the day. So between Devil's Night, Hallow's Eve, Los Dias de los Muertos, and Guy Fawkes Day, I consider Halloween to be a 7 day festival. The whole Hallowseason is a little more muddled. I generally start getting wound up at the end of August and don't poop out till, maybe the second week of November.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:27 pm 
Halloween Master

I start getting stoked for Halloween in August, but my decorations don't go up until late September, and come down in the 3rd of November. I consider Halloween to be a 3 day festival, with Halloween, All Saints Day and All Souls Day being the main event more or less, and then I consider the entire month of October to be the Halloween season.

But a lot of people think me accentric to be lighting my decorations and jack o'lanterns on the 2nd of November. I might even leave them up longer, except that I have to start my Holiday house cleaning shortly after the Halloween season, especialy when it's my turn to host Thanksgiving at my house.

Mike

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 pm 
Halloween Master

I don't know if this is necessarily a tradition, but it occurs around Halloween every year--in Dallas there is a kind of Halloween gay pride block party/parade type of celebration. When I was 17, I was working in retail and my manager (who was 25 and we'll call her B) took me and this other girl who was my age (we'll call her L) with her out to this party. We all dressed up and met up with some of her other friends and had a ball. Even though L and I weren't old enough to get into any of the bars, we had a great time because it was a party and we got to hang out with the "big kids". There were a few characters handing out jello shots and we were given a couple because as the guy said "hey you're pretty and I LOVE the costume! Have a jello shot!!" :lol: Looking back, it kinda reminded me of the block party or parade or whatever it was in Trick-r-Treat.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:06 am 
Halloween Master

Interesting story.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:34 am 
Halloween Master

Well, I knew about the gay parade (I guess it's mostly gays) up in NYC on Halloween night, but I didn't know other places did that, too. Sounds like fun, though.

The street around the corner from us has pretty much turned into a Halloween block party. So many houses decorate full-on, and cars drive in from other areas to witness it and participate. The street isn't blocked off, but any cars that pass through have to move very, very slowly, to avoid the TOTers and peer through all the fog-machine mist!

I first learned about Guy Fawkes Day in college English classes. Of course, now I think more Americans do know about it because of the V for Vendetta movie. I don't know if it's still celebrated so much over in England, though. Is it?

Board index » Halloween Welcome » Halloween General